Red Sequoia is dedicated to contributing to positive social and environmental change.
Our approach is two-fold:
1. We minimize our carbon footprint through conservation efforts.
2. We partner with organizations focused on making a positive social and environmental impact. By working with these groups and applying our web expertise to their web design and development projects, we help them truly leverage the power of the web, allowing them to communicate their message to a larger audience and create a deeper, more meaningful impact in their communities.
With this two-pronged approach, we are able to magnify our efforts and create lasting positive change.
Roughly 70% of our clients are focused on making positive social and environmental impacts, and we are continually looking for new clients and engagements in this area. Our clients range from charities to international organizations to large universities, to ecological development, community development and sustainable agriculture businesses.
Some of the organizations we have had the opportunity to partner with, who are making great strides in changing the world, include:
- ArtPlace America, a collaboration among a number of foundations, federal agencies, and financial institutions to transform communities across America through community development and creative placemaking.
- The African Leadership Academy, a world-class pan-african institute working to transform Africa through Education.
- CitySeed, a nonprofit working to connect farms and local food to residents throughout Connecticut.
- North Carolina State University’s NC10 program. The 10% Campaign is an initiative of North Carolina State University which allows members to pledge to spend 10% of their grocery bill on local food, and which has tracked over $63M in pledges since 2010.
- The Performing Arts Alliance, the premiere advocate for America’s professional nonprofit arts organizations, artists, and their publics before the US Congress and key policy makers.
- GibbsFarm, a Resort and Organic Farm in Tanzania. Gibb’s Farm also has the largest solar array installation in Tanzania.
- Focus on Tanzanian Communities, a nonprofit committed to building schools and potable water systems in Tanzania.
- Learning Without Borders, an Alternative Finance organization, empowering companies and individuals to invest in 3rd world countries.
- Thomson Safaris, a Safari travel company committed to Environmental Stewardship, as detailed here: http://www.thomsonsafaris.com/giving-back
Resource Conservation Strategy
We reduce our carbon footprint by:
- Telecommuting and working remotely. By not working out of at a central office we conserve resources and also help reduce traffic congestion.
- Growing some of our own food locally on-site.
- Conserving energy whenever possible by turning off equipment that is not in use.
- Using LCD monitors and laptops instead of desktops to lower our energy use.
- Using printers only when absolutely necessary and purchasing recycled, remanufactured print cartridges.
- Belonging to 1% for the Planet, an alliance of businesses that contribute 1% of sales to environmental groups to create a healthy planet.
Our Commitment to Plant 100,000 Trees
In 2011 we partnered with one of our favorite non-profits, Trees for the Future, and set a 10 year goal to fund the planting of 100,000 trees across the globe in areas of need. We are happy to report that as of 2015 we are on target for meeting our 10 year goal, having donated over $4,000 which has been used to plant 40,000 trees so far.